1.1 GENERAL BACKGROUND TO THE SUBJECT MATTER
The role which farming plays in the economic development and growth of Nigeria is to great to be imagined. Agricultural outputs accounts for be better percentage of the total economics activities in Nigeria. Even in the developed countries like United States of America, Great Britain, France and Japan, the place of faming standout consciously.
In Nigeria however, this sector has remained neglected to the detriment of the mush talked about industrial development and economic emancipation.
It is not surprising therefore that importation of food has continued to so very high over the years claiming a large proportion of the country foreign exchange.
The word poultry are used as a general name for several kind of birds. It is used for farming of domestic fowls, ducks, turkeys, guinea fowl and freeze. This work is entirely concerned with the management of improved chicken’s domestic fowls.
Poultry farming is very new and under developed just like other branches of livestock farming.
1.2 PROBLEMS ASSOCIATED WITH THE SUBJECT MATTER
There are over seventy poultry farm in Enugu State and our of these number, so many of them have virtually gone out of business while others are not doing well either.
In order to make the work through and considering the facts that there is peculiarity in the problems encountered by different farm.
THE PHINOMAR NIGERIA IN NGWO
The researchers also restricted the study to phinomar Nigeria Limited due to limited space and time allowed for this research.
1.3 PROBLEMS THAT THE STUDY WILL BE CONCERN WITH
In the course of this work the researchers identified some of the key problems laundering the progress of the pinomar Nigeria Ltd. Ngwo.
a. Poor management and lack of expertise in the farm.
b. Shortage of manpower of lack of adequate manpower
The study however centered especially on the above identified problem and such other problems that were discover in the course of investigation into the operation of the farm.
1.3 IMPORTANCE OF STUDYING HE AREA
The general importance of this research is to develop a system of managing poultry farming in Enugu state with a view to enhance poultry development in the area.
The successful producer today must utilize a combination of the most efficient bird and sound management practices.
The utilize aim of the study however, is not only to ensure that the best management tedious method of poultry production are practiced in phinomar livestock poultry farm. But also to identify ways that the farm so that it could contribute effectively in the effort to make poultry product available the effective consumers within and outside Enugu State.
1.4 DEFINITION OF IMPORTANT TERMS
The following consist of some of the words used and are define below:
1. Poultry: The word “Poultry is used to describe all domestic birds which are kept either for meat or laying of eggs
2. Fowls: Are the most important specie of poultry.
3. Broiler: This is the breed system where the birds are kept for the purpose of provide meat.
4. Silos: These are equipment used in storing poultry feeds.
5. Sick Bay: These places in poultry that are used for keeping sick birds.
6. Pen: These are encloses provided for birds i.e. poultry houses.
7. Feeders: feeders are equipment provided by poultry attendants for providing feeds for chicks.
8. Layers: layers are breeds system where the birds are kept for the provision of eggs.
9. Intensive system: This is the system of poultry keeping whereby bird in poultry houses it is divided into two types battery it is divided into two types battery cage and deep liter techniques.
A. Battery Cage: This is the method f intensive systems of poultry keeping where by birds are kept in housing in practitioners.
B. Deep litter: This is where the birds are kept in small halls with the floor covered with liter such as wood shrimp dries grass.
C. Extensive System: This is the poultry system also know free range system where birds to roam about to find food for themselves