1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
The focus of this research study is on the effect of Management Information System (MIS) in the achievement of organizational objectives. Information is an indispensable resources in every organization, be it profit oriented organization. We are actually in an information era, though organization had passed through different era, the manufacturing and industrial era. An organization activity gets improved with timely accurate and pertinent information that helps to make better decisions in every organization.
Management Information System consists of people, equipment and procedures to gather, sort, analyze, evaluate and distribute accurate timely and pertinent information or management decision makers. The chapter broken down into sub-headings via background of the study, scope of the study, research hypothesis, research quest ions, significant of all study, limitation of the study and definition of terms. Each sub-headings is discussed one after the other below.
The problem of Management Information System (MIS) is an important tool to achieving organizational objectives is challenging to managers of any organization especially the modern day managers. No organization can realize its goals and objectives with out a conscious effort using a well organized management information system, thus organization are concerned with goal achievement having mobilized and allocated resources including information.
The essence of this study is to show the effect of management information system (MIS) to management and to ascertain whether it has helped in facilitating decision making or management and to determine the extent to which it has enacted planning, control and operational function of an organization.
Planning requires management information system. The managers have to retrieve information system is the reception of facts and ideas and it is very essential to organization as in their planning and contribution functions. In terms of achievement of organizations objectives, accurate information is necessary.
1.2 STATEMENT OF PROBLEM
The essence of every research undertaking is to solve teething and novel problems posing serious threats to the life success and survival of any organization. We can as well say that management information system in its own respect is the life wire for any organization and it has been widely used and acknowledged. It s a very long sensitive function used by management.
Many organizations have realized their targets with the aid of management information system (MIS) and still there is lack of management expertise in adequately managing their information system for improvement although they might have one form of information or the other. Let us state the inherent problems that bedevil the management of organization like NITEL so as to have a focus at to determine the solutions by the end of the work. Such inherent factors are:
1. That most organizations do not have efficient management information system and if they have, their information systems are not effective as to its role towards goals and objective attainment.
2. Most managers are governed by intuition and management self judgment as to what course of action to follow in their planning and decision making function. Many of them as a matter of fact do not make use of the information supplied to them from within and outside the organization and if they do, to some degree they receive from the business environment.
3. There is also the problem of evaluating the impact of management information system towards the achievement of objectives. Many managers are yet to capitalize and utilize information for decision making and goal attainment.
Therefore, the question as to whether management information system (MIS) enables organization achieve their objectives has to be addressed in this research study.
1.3 OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The purpose of this study is to show the effect of management information system (MIS) to organization and to check if it has helped to facilitate the decision making process of management of an organization. The researcher also intends to show the impact of management information on business organization. Specifically, the purpose of this study includes these below:
1. To determine the extent to which organization have and make use of information system.
2. To ascertain the effectiveness of their information system and how goals are achieved through them.
3. To evaluate the problems militating against the management information system of NITEL Owerri.
4. To evaluate the relationship between the effect of management information system and organizational objectives of NITEL.
5. To identify how effective management information system is to decision making.
6. To find out the extent to which organization have recommend the most appropriate management information strategies that would be adopted by them in order to achieve their objectives.